Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lake Effect!

Hey blog readers...I just thought I would share something that has been on my mind for the last few days. Once, just once I would like the weather man to say Lake Effect with something positive. As this winter continues, the phrase "Lake Effect" is making me like the lake less and less. Why can't lake effect mean sunshine, sand and fun. No it means that every other location in the area is going to get 1"-3" snow and we are going to get 5"-10". Seriously, the phrase is starting to make me despise the lake.

Well as mentioned yesterday I called the South Bend Street Department. The conversation went a something like this. (O)South Bend Street Department. (J)Hi, I have a question. (O)Ok. (J)I live on Field Gate Dr East in Field Point subdivision near Brick and Portage and was curious as to when you planned to plow our streets(Did not give my address out of fear of retribution by plow driver). (O)Do you live in the City of South Bend. (J)Yes. (O)With the recent snow fall it has been difficult to get plows to all the neighborhood to clear the streets. (J)I understand, but there hasn't been a plow in our neighborhood since Sat. Is there a time line that I should expect a plow to come through the neighborhood. (O)We don't have a schedule, they get to neighborhoods after they clear the main roads. (silence) (J)So when should I expect a plow? (O)Sir, I understand your frustration, but we have limited resources and with budget cuts we have less plow drivers. (J)That doesn't answer my question. (O)I guess I don't understand your question. (J)It is simple, when should I see a plow come through my neighborhood? (O)I can't answer that question sir, we don't have a schedule and I don't want to give you false information. (J)Is there someone I can talk to that can give me that answer. (O)I can let you talk to my supervisor. (J)Ok. (O)Please hold. (S)Street Department. (J)Hi, I was curious to know when a plow would be through my neighborhood. I understand you guys are busy, however I haven't seen a plow in our neighborhood since Sat. (S)Well sir, you may not see them, we have been plowing a lot at night.(Not in my neighborhood) (J)Ok...but I haven't seen any signs of a plow through our neighborhood, end of the driveway plowed shut, snow removed from the road...(S)Well sir, we have had a lot of snow recently and the snow may be building up faster than the plows can keep up. (Well duh...) (J)But in order to keep up, they have to start plowing. (S)I can't tell you when we will get to your neighborhood, we don't have a specific rotation or schedule. (J)So you don't know. (S) Yes, I don't know. (J)Well thank you for your time. (S)I hope that answered your question. (J)Well it didn't. (S)I'm sorry...(J)Me too. (S)Sir, you understand we live in a lake effect area, right? (There is that damn Lake Effect Phrase again) (J)I do, I have lived here my whole life. (S)I am sorry we couldn't help you more. (J)Me too...bye. (S)Bye.

Apparently we have no direction to our plow service in the city. So my plan is to cross my fingers and hope they plow...what a joke! My disappointment grows!

Sharkboy had a pretty good 1st day back after the holiday break. He told me he was happy to see all of his friends and teachers again. He is growing up so fast. Last night, at 7:30, he got up off the couch, brushed his teeth and told us he was ready for bed. He said, he had a long day and just wanted to get his sleep going. So we read his book and said our good nights...the kid loves his sleep.

While I was watching the Today show today I had a revelation. They were discussing health and New Years Eve resolutions. I listened and have come to this...Most people treat their bodies like a leased car. Trying to return it with no dings, dents, scratches and in pristine condition. Well guess what...I didn't lease this body. I own it. I plan to have all the fun I can, get all the dings, scratches, dents and flat tires I can. My plan is to not pull gently into the grave. I want to go sliding in smoking tires sideways know that I have had all the fun I can. Now, don't get me wrong...I plan to exercise, watch what I eat and just generally take better care of my body. But I am not going to freak out about it. That is why my resolution this year is to make more memories with friends and family and try not to pass up opportunities to do so.

Well, time to get some things off the last wall in the bedroom and fill some holes so I can paint tomorrow. Hopefully your streets are in better condition than ours. Remember to not pass up an opportunity to enjoy life.

Be Kind, Be Safe...(especially if they never get around to plowing our streets)

Shalom my Peeps.

No comments: