Thursday, May 29, 2008

The crazy week so far...

Hey blog readers and fans. I am now reconnected to the electronic world again. Oh and it feels so much better. You know, I never thought I would say this, but 3 days without internet...were clearly 3 too many. I missed it and I missed submitting to my blog. So here are the last few days as they have unfolded and I saw them. So sit back and enjoy...it may get a little windy, but there is a lot to cover.

Well Monday I made the trek north to Gull Lake, in beautiful Richland, Mi. For the annual David Kubsch Memorial Golf Outing. It is a group of 16-20 guys that get together every year to play golf, drink, tell stories and smoke cigars. We got there early enough this year to play 18 holes on Monday. It was a beautiful course called Yarrow. I am not kidding you people when I say this, that is the most picturesque course I have ever been on. This course was long and wide open. They had American flags for the pin markers, that I believe were in honor of Memorial Day. After playing this course however I think they were actually to assure you that you were still in the United States and hadn't crossed over into Canada. Monday night we got in our usual circle and caught up with old friends and made some new ones. Lots of libations were consumed and the smoke from the cigars kept the bugs and strangers away.

Tuesday we woke up to a very chilly morning. We dedicated our Memorial rock to David Kubsch, the name sake of our outing. David was a fellow golfer in this group. He was taken from us suddenly just before last years outing in a tragic plane crash. David was a commercial pilot, and died doing what he loved most, flying. David was also the son of one of our golfers. So in honor and memory of him we placed a rock at the first hole of his favorite course at Gull Lakeview West. We miss you David and I hope you are honored by this little gesture we had to offer.

Back to the blog. It was overcast and about 40 degrees. Not to worry though...we all went out anyway. It was a pretty chilly 18 holes. I am going to use that as my excuse that I didn't play that well. You know with the wind blowing the ball around in the air and the cold hands and feet, you just can't play a good round. So afterwords we decided to warm up at the hotel with some drinks and cigars. In the evening I put my Chef's hat on and made steaks (bone in Ribeye) with roasted potatoes with Mushroom and Onions. Yummy. There wasn't an empty stomach in the group. We were in bed a little earlier this night...we had a big day ahead on Wednesday.

Wednesday we had our big tournament. We play 36 holes this day. The first we score in a bingo, bango, bongo format and the second we straight scramble. The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny, and cool...the golf was pretty much the polar opposite. The second 18 was the absolute slowest round of golf I have ever played. We had a group of players(and I use that term loosely) would stand around on the tee box and on the greens just visiting. Ok folks...the course is for shooting the ball the clubhouse is for shooting the shit. Play and get out of the way. Now I don't know how many golfers are blog readers/fans, but it took us 6 hours to scramble 18 holes and that is unacceptable. As a result I missed my chance to see my friend Scully when she was in town. I am so sorry Scully...I feel horrible and wish I could have had a little time to catch up. But we had a nice talk on the phone and I look forward to the next chance we have, whenever it may be. After getting home Wednesday...I switched suitcases.

I then headed down to West Lafayette for Annual confernce for my church. I am currently sitting in the first executive session. I arrived here last night at 2:30am and crashed in the hotel. It was a long day and for those of you keeping score...I am currently on the 350 mile mark for the week and 3rd night away in a hotel. I am dragging, but am hoping to slip out later and catch 9 holes(it is an addiction). But if I didn't blog, I would most likely not be conscious right now, and it is rude to snore in a group of 1,000 or so church heads. I will be here until Saturday morning.

I have to say that I don't really have a Sharkboy update. I am more sorry to Sharkboy than anybody else on this point. I miss him so much. It breaks my heart that I can't give him a hug or play with him. I look forward to hearing his voice everyday...even if it is in the background of a phone conversation with Jenny, I will see you Saturday little man. Keep taking care of Mommy, you are doing a great job. Speaking of Mommy...I have to say Thank you! This is a week that it is pretty shitty to be my wife. I am gone, and it is difficult for us to communicate. Just know that I love you very much and I will also see you on Saturday, please hang in there. I appreciate you very much.

Well that is about all I have to offer for this blog. I am looking forward to a couple of this coming up. Dinner tonight with our old neighbor Gayle, and maybe even getting to play 9 or 18 holes of golf in the West Lafayette area. So that is all for now...remember to appreciate your friends and family.

Be Kind, Be Safe...

Shalom my peeps!!!

No comments: