Saturday, October 4, 2008

Breast Cancer Fact for 10/4...

Hey blog readers...here is todays fact. As you know, I am doing this to try and teach myself as well as share with you...the reader, some facts about breast cancer. Well todays fact cleared some things up for me. I know that many of the lumps that women find on their monthly exam...but this clears up what causes them and what they are...

Benign breast lumps

Most breast lumps are benign. This means they are not cancer. Benign breast tumors are abnormal growths, but they do not spread outside of the breast and they are not life threatening. But some benign breast lumps can increase a woman's risk of getting breast cancer.

Most lumps are caused by fibrocystic changes. Cysts are fluid-filled sacs. Fibrosis is the formation of scar-like tissue. These changes can cause breast swelling and pain. They often happen just before a period is about to begin. The breasts may feel lumpy, and sometimes there is a clear or slightly cloudy nipple discharge.

So, I hope you learned something...I know I did. And if you want to find out more facts on your own, I have made the title of this post a hyper link to Cancer.org. It is filled with more information than most people could digest in one sitting...

Be Kind, Be Safe...Be informed!

Shalom my Peeps!!!

No comments: