Tuesday, October 26, 2010

There is no such thing as "The Stomach Flu"

Hey blog readers...this public service announcement is brought to you by me. I have decided to make it my mission to abolish the term "Stomach Flu" from my immediate peer group. I know that my outreach is limited, but I thought I would attempt to make a little change in the world.

First what is "The Flu":
It is a respiritory virus(Influenza, or RNA Viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae family aka Influenza family). The most common symptoms of the disease are chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort. Sore throat, fever and coughs are the most frequent symptoms. In more serious cases, influenza causes pneumonia, which can be fatal, particularly for the young and the elderly.

Why is there no "Stomach Flu":
Simply put, the stomach(or intestinal system) is not part of the Respiratory system. There are no variations of the Influenza family of viruses that effect the Intestinal system (Stomach)...so hence no such thing as "Stomach Flu".

So long story short, you can't have the "Stomach Flu". Because there truly is no such thing. You most likely have Gastroenteritis. We use the slang "Stomach Flu", but that is incorrect. That would be like calling a Bike a Car because they are both modes of transportation.

Take this as your warning...if you say "Stomach Flu" I will most likely call you out on this.

Be Kind, Be Safe...Be Healthy!

Shalom my Peeps

5 comments:

Ash said...

is saying stomach bug or tummy troubles appropiate vocabulary?

Aleea said...

Yeah, I'm no fan of 'stomach flu' but I'm also no fan on sharing the nitty-gritties of what can be a magical thrill ride of gastrointestinal joy. :)

I generally use the term "GI distress" because ultimately, it is the GI tract and I am, indeed, in distress about it.

Jay said...

Ash: Those are absolutely acceptable.

Athena: Neither is fun or good...but simply put, it is just a term that causes me cranial distress...LOL

Awesome Aunt Kelly said...

I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but if vomiting or diarrhea aren't symptoms for the flu, why do people get them when they get the flu? Do they not have the flu then?

Jay said...

Awesome Aunt Kelly: Those are not common symptoms of the flu. In order for it to be the flu, you have to have respiratory symptoms too. Basically...Vomiting and Diarrhea, unless accompanied by respiratory symptoms (cough, runny nose, fever, chills, sore throat etc...) are not the flu, but the flu can cause Gastrointestinal Distress secondary to drainage/fever...sorry, but that is the best way to explain it...and you know I don't think you an A-hole...your an A(wesome)-Aunt!