Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July...

Hey blog readers...second post for the day. Consider it a 2-fer.

Well today at the firehouse was filled with parades. 6 total. I really like the idea of the neighborhood parade. I don't know if it is just a Midwest/Indiana thing, but the neighborhood parade is awesome. The thought of a bunch of kids decorating their bikes, wagons or anything else the can peddle, push or drag is refreshing. The neighbors all sitting in their front yards waving and making it a big deal for the kids. One of those things that makes me proud to be an American.

Neighborhood parades usually bring neighborhood cookout at the end. I have had my share of hamburgers today. No more hamburgers for a couple days, if not weeks. The best part of the neighborhood parade is the show and tell at the end. Showing little kids the equipment and fire trucks is great. I love to see their reactions to all the "toys" we carry in our trucks.

Then there are the parents. I don't know if I am the only one that notices this, but the Mom's want to talk to the firemen. They have a hundred questions, mostly about the weight of our equipment and how we can handle all the stress(often accompanied by some sort of awkward touch). Then the Dad's want to see the cab, they always offer to drive. They also want to know things like how many PSI our hoses are and stuff like that(followed by a way too hard, trying to impress handshake). The kids...they just want to hear the horn and sirens, and look into the cabnits. All and all it is a time to offer them a perspective into our little world.

Well it sounds like we are having inter-neighborhood shelling. I guess the difference between us and other nations is we just sound like it, they are really shelling each other. So I am going to go make my bed and try and get some sleep...hopefully not haveing to go out tonight.

Oh...wait. Some shout outs. Little Amigo, thanks for the E-card. Looks like your reading the blog... Athena and Sister, hope you had a nice time in LaPorte. I forgot to tell Jen, but she wasn't feeling well, and now she has no voice. Jenny, I hope you get your voice back. It is really killing me not to be able to talk to you, but I understand your frustration and can't wait to hear your voice again. AAK hope your having a good time in Ludington...I am sure it will be a good weekend for you guys. Ash...Thanks again for helping with Sharkboys swimming lessons. I know he is being a pain in the butt, but he will get it...we just waited too long.

Well that is about it...

Be Kind, Be Safe...all weekend.

Shalom my Peeps!

No comments: