Thursday, March 11, 2010

Some fresh air

Hey blog readers...today I got home from taking Sharkboy to school and thought it would be a good idea to get a walk in early today, since they are calling for rain later today and I didn't want to put it off or hit the treadmill. So much like the house the last few days, I opened my windows in my brain and let it air out, all the while giving my heart and body some much needed exercise.

While on my walk I realized that many of the dog owners in the neighborhood are not responsible or respectful dog walkers. I could not believe the amount of poop I saw laying in the tree lawns and even some on the sidewalk. I know that while on a walk with your dog it is horrible to have to do the inside out bag dog poop grab. I don't like to do it, but I do. I understand that it is my dog and my responsibility to clean up after her, not somebody who happens to care for that lawn. Please people...if you have a dog, please be respectful and responsible and pick up your dogs poo.

I was watching the news today and they were covering the 14 y/o that killed his Grandfather. I was shocked to hear the story (as it is being reported). Apparently he went to his Grandfather's coat, got his loaded gun and went to his sleeping Grandfather. He then had an "internal argument" with himself before shooting his Grandfather in the head. OH MY GOD!!! I don't know what to think...that is crazy. But I think the part that was the most shocking is that he called his Grandfather "Pa Pa". That is exactly what Sharkboy calls his Grandfather. It was kind of creepy. I know it is a very common nickname for Grandfathers, but it was still a bit creepy.

I went to QI at the hospital last night. For those of you not in the know, Emergency Medical providers are required to attend a prescribed amount of QI, based on their level of certification. I went last night for some of mine. We learned about Hip Fractures and some interesting facts that stuck out to me I thought I would share. First is the fact that prior to surgical hip repair/replacement there was a 50% mortality rate in hip fractures. Holy cow...that is a lot higher than thought. Second was that, by 2020 they are expecting 350.000 hip fractures a year. That is a lot of hip fractures. I also was interested in the risk factors for Hip fractures. There was many of the obvious: Osteoporosis, low body mass, maternal history of hip fractures...etc. But a couple stirred my mind: Smoking, Alcohol consumption, vision impairment, living in an extended care facility (nursing home). Smoking? Well apparently that is a cause of Osteoporosis, didn't know that. Vision impairment, increases trips(not really that shocking...but never thought of it). But living in an extended care facility? Don't we send Grandma or Grandpa to the nursing home because they can't care for themselves and we don't want them to fall and break a hip? But now we find they are actually categorized as a risk now for that...wow. Good luck people...may we all never fall and break a hip!

Tomorrow morning I start a 48 on the medic...so I may not post until Sunday. I will try to maybe fire off some posts from the blackberry, but most likely they will only be random thoughts. Please feel free to comment.

Until next time friends...

Be Kind, Be Safe...

Shalom my Peeps!

No comments: