Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Education and it's many possibilities...

Hey blog readers...as many of you know, I am the very proud father of a 4 y/o little boy (Sharkboy). Well we are at that stage in life where we are making a decision for the first building block in his education. We thought we had it all figured out. We are not big fans of the South Bend Community Schools(currently, nothing against previous graduates). We looked into the different private school option in the area and had decided on a nice school near our home that has an after school program for those days when I work and Jenny doesn't get off until 5.

Well as you may have guessed a wrench got thrown in the mix. We had dismissed the public magnet programs, since the one Sharkboy would have qualified for was on the South West Side and I am not a big fan of him riding a bus...you know the whole kids being left on buses and the other kids bad habits coming home. I recently was on a medical call on a bus and was floored that when I asked if the Mother of the child had been contacted, I was informed yes, but it wasn't by the bus driver. It was the 3rd grader with a nicer cell phone than mine(and for those of you who know me...that is a big deal) that had contacted Mom. The bus driver didn't even have a cell phone. Well we found out that South Bend has a Montessori Academy. We were interested.

I am not sure if any of you are familiar with that style of education, but it peaked our interest. I am not saying that, that is the answer, but it was worth the look. Well we sat through the open house, and the question and answer torture session that followed. Here is my concern. We are generally interested and educated parents. We did research prior to going in and I would say we have a pretty good understanding of the Montessori style of education. The presentation was well put together and pretty much outlined what we had learned on our own. But the question and answer part of this program was painful. I would rather have the toe nail on my left big toe pulled out without anesthesia, twice...than sit through that again. The people that were asking questions apparently did not pay attention/do any research. (So here is my plea...) If you have a child and are making education decisions for them...do me, and every other person who did prepare, a favor. Put a little effort into you decision...do some research(educate yourself) and pay attention during the presentation. It may sound crazy, but presentation do often times have good information in them...ok soap box away.

So long story short, not sure yet where he will end up. But the applications are flying out like planes to tropical destinations(I wish I was going someplace nice...).

Had a great Daddy Day today with Sharkboy. We had lots of "Matchbox Therapy" and had some really good talks about stuff going on in his life at school. I have a new outlook on some things. For example...I now look at it as Sharkboy will only be 4 on Dec. 10th once. Why rush it.

Tomorrow I start a 36. Overtime first 12 on Friday. I may not be able to post until after that turn. But then on Sat. we are hitting the "Pony" for a Christmas extravaganza. Polish style buffet, here I come.

So Blog readers...until next time:

Be Kind, Be Safe...

Shalom my Peeps.

No comments: